Friday, July 30, 2010

Risotto & homemade stock...


First things first, all risottos made at home should be made with a homemade stock. There is no reason not to have some homemade stock on hand if your a truly serious cook. I'm not saying that bought stock is necessarily bad...its just not as good. 
Homemade stock is the easiest thing in the world to make as long as your making something else that involves bones (unless your a vegetarian...then use veg). I made ribs the other night and decided to go with the age old culinary trick of boiling my ribs before throwing them on the grill. This was a thought out tactic, because when you through in pork and bones into water it yields a delicious stock; as long as you add a few extra ingredients that you should already have in your pantry and fridge. 
Chop an onion, a couple of carrots and some celery, toss them into the water. Add a couple of Bay leaves and some spices of your choice and your golden. Let the stock simmer and reduce, then your left with a very simple and tasty stock, where before you just had water that you would have thrown out anyway. 
(I hope I don't sound too snarky, I'm a bit tired and even the thought of throwing out water that could have been utilized makes me grumpy at the moment).
Cremini mushroom and Bacon risotto: 
This is one of the best risottos I've had in a while; we all know how to make risotto so I'm not going to go into detail on how to make a proper risotto, I'm just going to give you the ingredients I used.
Carnaroli rice (feel free to use vialone nano or arborio, there just as good)
White wine (I used a Sauvignon blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand)
Cremini mushrooms
Local Bacon (Black Pig Meat Co.)
Shallots (sautéed in bacon fat...of coarse)
Butter
Parmagiano Sarvecchio (you can use Parmagiano Reggiano or other hard cheese)
Homemade stock...you will make some right?


No comments:

Post a Comment