Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sourdough, part one: Starter


As the days grow colder and the nights get longer, I can’t seem to consume enough baked goods. The warm comfortable smell of anything baking in the oven calms my soul. I’m eagerly anticipating the colder months ahead, because with cold weather comes the most comforting and familiar food.

I’ve got the baking bug…all that seems to go through my mind lately is bread and butter, so after a few breakfast breads or “quick breads”, I’m moving on to something a bit more well…bready. Sourdough.
The sourdough starter recipe I used was found in an old cookbook, simply titled baking.
All you will need is:

2 ½ cups warm water
1 ½ cups white flour (I added a bit more flour; the starter didn’t seem thick enough)
1 packet of dry active yeast

Using a medium sized glass bowl mix the yeast in the warm water and let dissolve for 15 minutes.
After the time has elapsed, slowly add the flour and mix to incorporate.
Cover with some cheesecloth- to let air in and keep nasties out- and wait about three days, mixing occasionally.
When it gets going, you should see some little bubbles.
After at least three days the starter can then be used to make bread…more on that next time.

My starter has been going for two days now, and looks splendid!
By the way…I’ve heard you have to name your starter for good luck; I’ve named mine Hugh after a personal hero.
I can’t wait to have some homemade sourdough!

1 comment:

  1. Sourdough is one of the most satisfying culinary projects I've done. The results are excellent, and there's something really homely about using your own, locally-caught yeast.

    On the downside, I've killed plenty of starters. There are starters out there that date back to way before the war, that have been tended and nurtured through thick and thin.

    Unfortunately, I don't have the dedication, organisation or memory to feed the starter every day, so mine lead a lonely, forgotten life in the back of the fridge, until the inevitable chucking out ceremony *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete